linux-headers-5.15.0-1027-gke is removed from jammy last night

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Wed May 10 15:12:50 UTC 2023

On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 10:20:26AM +0100, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2023 at 09:26, Tai-Lin Chu <tailinchu at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for your answer.
> > We install specific versions because we try to compile kernel drivers.
> > In 20.04, we saw older kernel versions were kept, but in 22.04
> > (jammy), these older kernel versions could go missing. I wonder what
> > might be a good workaround.

> Removing old ABIs, at this aggressive timelines is a recent change
> done by the Ubuntu Archive team. You can read about it here
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2023-April/042552.html
> and you can respond to that email by subscribing and emailing
> ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-devel-discuss

> Imho, it is a bit aggressive, specifically in the cloud context, where
> images launched by default with potentially slightly out of date
> kernel from a few weeks ago, and it is reasonable to installer headers
> & tools for the currently running ABI of the most currently blessed
> Ubuntu published image, without need to upgrade to latest kernel &
> reboot. But I also don't know how our Public Cloud Team can notify the
> Ubuntu Archive team which kernel ABIs are still "live" and active ones
> in the cloud images in all of the clouds.

When Andy and I looked at this, the analysis had showed that all our images
except for minimal images were being built with linux-$flavor installed,
rather than linux-image-$flavor, so that the headers would already be
present and removal of the old ABIs from the archive would have no impact on
users of these images.

The GKE images are being built on a minimal base, which I did not recall.

It is not otherwise an issue for cloud images per above, with the exception
of the cloud-minimal images.

Since the linux-gke flavor is used only for minimal GKE images, we could
reasonably exclude these from the NBS cleaning going forward.

I've reached out to our Public Cloud team to see what their preference is.