[SRU][jammy][pull-request v3] alsa: enable the cirrus-logic side-codec to make the speaker output sound

Hui Wang hui.wang at canonical.com
Thu Mar 31 00:47:14 UTC 2022

On 3/30/22 21:22, Andrea Righi wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 09:00:19PM +0800, Hui Wang wrote:
>> not touch existing codec drivers. If a machine with wm_adsp codec
>> can't output sound or record sound, it means this SRU introduce
>> the regression on wm_adsp driver, but this possibility is very
>> low, since all patches are picked from mainline kernel.
> Overall the code looks good, all the patches are pretty much clean
> upstream cherry-picks (except for few backports, that are just context
> adjustments).
>
> However, this patch set is quite big:
>
>    27 files changed, 5234 insertions(+), 222 deletions(-)
>
> Even if it's mostly stand-alone code my question is... who is going to
> maintain this code? Because we're not getting fixes via stable updates,
> so I guess we should actively track the upstream changes for this codec
> (especially potential security-related fixes).
>
> Mostly for this reason I'm a bit skeptical about maintaining this code
> directly in jammy/linux. However, if someone is taking care of actively
> checking for upstream changes in this code and post backports to the
> mailing list then I can definitely send my ACK.

Thanks Andrea,  I will keep an eye on the codec driver and send
important fixes on this codec to the maillist.

And also Kaiheng is work on HP machines, those machines need this
patchset too, Kaiheng and I will work together to make sure the
important fixes for the codec will be sent to the maillist.

Thanks,

Hui.