NACK: [SRU][J][master-next][PATCH] UBUNTU: SAUCE: overlayfs: remove CONFIG_AUFS_FS dependency

Andrea Righi andrea.righi at canonical.com
Tue Aug 2 08:12:55 UTC 2022


On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 11:04:23AM +0300, Alexander Mikhalitsyn wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 09:05:31 +0200
> Andrea Righi <andrea.righi at canonical.com> wrote:
> 
> > On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 12:50:43AM +0300, Alexander Mikhalitsyn wrote:
> > > BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1967924
> > > BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1857257
> > > 
> > > BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1967924
> > > 
> > > Right now we have a fix:
> > > b07bc17b ("UBUNTU: SAUCE: overlayfs: fix incorrect mnt_id of files opened from map_files")
> > > in master branch of Jammy kernel, but only formaly. Because these kernels compiled without
> > > CONFIG_AUFS_FS set, so this fix just disabled. There is no need to make it dependent on
> > > CONFIG_AUFS_FS option, because in all cases we have mm/prfile.c compiled-in.
> > > 
> > > Cc: Andrei Vagin <avagin at gmail.com>
> > > Cc: Adrian Reber <areber at redhat.com>
> > > Cc: Stefan Bader <stefan.bader at canonical.com>
> > > Cc: Kleber Sacilotto de Souza <kleber.souza at canonical.com>
> > > Cc: Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzysztof.kozlowski at canonical.com>
> > > Cc: Andrea Righi <andrea.righi at canonical.com>
> > > 
> > > Fixes: b07bc17b ("UBUNTU: SAUCE: overlayfs: fix incorrect mnt_id of files opened from map_files")
> > > Signed-off-by: Alexander Mikhalitsyn <alexander.mikhalitsyn at virtuozzo.com>
> 
> Hi Andrea,
> 
> > 
> > It's true that we don't need this in Jammy, but we need it in focal for
> > the hwe kernels, where we still need to support AUFS. So, we decided to
> 
> I'm sorry, but I don't understand your point.
> 
> This patch *completely* independent of CONFIG_AUFS_FS it only relies on
> the *one* small piece of code from aufs:
> https://github.com/sfjro/aufs5-linux/commit/f8a27912904bdc40a27f434a9b6d19f56e7fb3b6
> which is present in the master-next branch.
> 
> And this code is always compiled-in regardless of the CONFIG_AUFS_FS kernel.
> 
> But for this branch we need to remove this check because it makes this fix totally useless and users are still facing issues with overlayfs.

Does it mean that this fix isn't really fixing the issue with overlayfs?
In this case we should definitely drop it, but in this case I would
rephrase the commit description, mentioning that the fix is not correct.

> 
> > keep it also in Jammy, even if, as you correctly mentioned, it's just
> > formal change, since this patch is a no-op with AUFS disabled, but it
> > helps to maintain the code especially when we need to release new hwe
> > kernels.
> 
> I've prepared corresponding separate (!) patches for hwe-5.17 branch. Please take a look.

Oh, I see now that you sent a patch set against hwe-5.17. We may also
want to fix this properly in hwe-5.15 as well. Do you have a patch for
5.15 already?

Thanks for the clarification,
-Andrea



More information about the kernel-team mailing list