[SRU][H][PULL] Update SmartPQI driver

Krzysztof Kozlowski krzysztof.kozlowski at canonical.com
Mon Jul 5 11:56:26 UTC 2021

On 05/07/2021 13:04, Kleber Souza wrote:
> On 01.07.21 16:57, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1933518
>>
>> Pull data at the end.
>>
>> [Impact]
>>
>> * Microchip asks to update the SCSI SmartPQI driver to latest version
>>    from upstream Linux kernel.
>> * This contains mostly fixes and refactorings.
>> * Updated driver allows to support properly latest SmartPQI controllers.
>>
>> [Fix]
>>
>> * Cherry-pick all the patches related to smartpqi.
>> * These are clean picks although the patchset is pretty big.
>>
>> [Test Plan]
>>
>> * Build-test each commit.
>> * Asked Microhip to perform the testing. Received feedback:
>>    "I installed the provided kernel package and thus far performed:
>>    1. reboot tests
>>    2. insmod/rmmod tests
>>    3. fio testing: no performance regressions"
>>
>> [Where problems could occur]
>>
>> * The patches touch only smartpqi driver so the scope of possible
>>    failures is limited to systems which probe it (so basically systems
>>    with SmartPQI controller).
>> * On such SmartPQI-equipped systems the patchset can cause data corruption,
>>    data loss or unavailability of SCSI storage and boot failure.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Krzysztof
>>
>> ################################
>>
>> The following changes since commit e7bd377c9219094136ecce5e2258f04edbed58a0:
>>
>>    (upstream) media: uvcvideo: Fix pixel format change for Elgato Cam Link 4K (2021-06-30 08:28:01 +0200)
>>
>> are available in the Git repository at:
>>
>>    https://git.launchpad.net/~krzk/ubuntu/+source/linux tags/bug-1933518-scsi-smartpqi-microchip-update
>>
>> for you to fetch changes up to 2172f2a6896d91fa9bf52e7588b3a826cf4a750b:
>>
>>    scsi: smartpqi: Remove unused functions (2021-07-01 16:45:43 +0200)

>> Update SmartPQI SCSI driver
>>
>> * Microchip asks to update the SCSI SmartPQI driver to latest version
>>    from upstream Linux kernel.
>> * This contains mostly fixes and refactorings.
>> * Updated driver allows to support properly latest SmartPQI controllers.
>
> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> Thanks for resubmitting the patches.
>
> However, I've noticed two missing commits from the list mentioned on the
> bug report:
>
>   2708a25643ab scsi: smartpqi: Add support for new product ids

That's my mistake, thanks for spotting it. I mixed it up with other
already applied commit - "scsi: smartpqi: Add new PCI IDs".

I'll prepare a v2.

>   6417f03132a6 module: remove never implemented MODULE_SUPPORTED_DEVICE

This commit touches several files and removes unused
MODULE_SUPPORTED_DEVICE. It does not have impact on the features,
possible bugs, basically anything. Also it is not a dependency and it is
not needed to resolve conflicts. There is no need to take this commit
because we are not taking any others like this for SRUs.

> Any reason why they have been left out?
>
> The second one has no functional change and it applies to several other
> drivers. On the tarball attached to the bug the patch for this commit was
> changed to apply only the hunk relevant to smartpqi. If we apply it we
> should probably make it a SAUCE patch with a slightly different subject
> to make it clear that we are not backporting the whole thing.

I was not going through the tarball because I don't know what is inside
and would have to review/compare all the commits to check if it does not
sneak a bug or backdoor. It's much easier to do the cherry-picks because
then I there is no such risk.

Best regards,
Krzysztof