ACK/cmnt: [Cover Letter] Out of order reads can fetch a NULL pointer causing a kernel crash

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue Apr 27 12:58:44 UTC 2021

On 27.04.21 14:27, Guilherme Piccoli wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 7:44 AM Kleber Souza <kleber.souza at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guilherme,
>>
>> For the next submissions, could you please add to the cover letter the affected
>> kernels as well? Ideally it would also have the "[SRU]" tag as well. This makes
>> it easier to identify for which kernels the patches need to be applied.
>>
>> Otherwise the patches look good.
>>
>> Acked-by: Kleber Sacilotto de Souza <kleber.souza at canonical.com>
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Thanks Kleber!
>
> About the cover letter subject, for sure! I usually do that...I just
> got confused due to the situation here: this series is for all kernels
> B/F/G/H, but I've tested them on linux-aws for these series (and it is
> a priority there). How should I encode this information in the
> cover-letter subject, through tags? Suggestions are very appreciated!
> Cheers,

In some way I think, for the general review side the additional information is
not needed that much. Since cloud kernels tend to see different needs in getting
things done, I tend to let those responsible to the kernels apply patches when
and as they think they need them. But I guess if the submission does not mention
anything, it could happen to miss something like "we have to apply those ahead
of time to aws kernels".
One way or the other you probably will always face someone asking more or less
stupid questions if things do not fit into the usual pockets.

-Stefan