[SRU][F][PATCH 0/1] perf vendor events s390: Add new deflate counters for IBM z15
sultan.alsawaf at canonical.com
Wed Jul 22 17:10:54 UTC 2020
* With perf from Ubuntu 20.04 on IBM z15 hardware, some counters reported with lscpumf are not usable with 'perf stat -e'.
* 'lscpumf -c' provides a list of available counters, but the following are not usable: DFLT_ACCESS, DFLT_CYCLES, DFLT_CC, DFLT_CCERROR
* 'perf list' is also not offering these counters.
* On the kernel side this is fixed with the following upstream accepted commit:
* e7950166e40271c025e0eec348cdf5c63ac734fa "perf vendor events s390: Add new deflate counters for IBM z15"
* Requires the fix/patch of the kernel (d68d5d51dc898895b4e15bea52e5668ca9e76180 "s390/cpum_cf: Add new extended counters for IBM z15")
* An IBM z15 (or LinuxONE III) system with Ubuntu 20.04 installed in LPAR is needed where the counters are enabled in the activation profile.
* Use 'perf list' to determine if the counters DFLT_ACCESS, DFLT_CYCLES, DFLT_CC, DFLT_CCERROR are listed
* Use 'perf stat -e' to enable amd make use of these counters.
* The regression can be considered as low, since:
* it's architecture specific (s390x)
* limited to IBM z15 hardware
* and only additional (s390x) hardware counters are defined and added.
* Since these patches are upstream in kernel 5.7 they will automatically land in groovy.
Thomas Richter (1):
perf vendor events s390: Add new deflate counters for IBM z15
.../pmu-events/arch/s390/cf_z15/crypto6.json | 8 ++---
.../pmu-events/arch/s390/cf_z15/extended.json | 30 ++++++++++++++++++-
2 files changed, 33 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)
More information about the kernel-team