Changes file no longer bundled in

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Wed Jul 15 08:43:54 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 08:43:22PM +1000, DanglingPointer wrote:
> The |CHANGES| file aren't published anymore on kernel.ubuntu.com
[...]
> This I would assume is a mandatory requirement.

The tooling was updated to allow native builds of non-x86 to be possible,
during this conversion the CHANGES was disabled and forgotten.

This is not a manditory part of the contents of this repository.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 02:44:19PM -0400, Brian K. White wrote:
> I too would like to know why is there no more CHANGES file in the mainline
> ppa after 5.6.17 ?
>
> https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.6.17/CHANGES
>
> https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.6.18/???
>
> Is it a glitch in the automation or an intentional change or the result of
> an upstream change or ?? Is the equivalent info available somewhere else?

This was an unintended change in the tooling, now corrected.  The
information is indeed available elsewhere.  The tip from which the build
is constructed is indicated in the header and the CHANGES file is mearly
a git shortlog of the base tip to the preceeding tag.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 04:46:37PM -0400, Brian K. White wrote:
> On 7/14/20 4:42 AM, DanglingPointer wrote:
> > Is anyone going to respond to this?

In fairness to everyone else on this thread.  I was the author of this
change and they were deferring response to me.  I was not aware of the
thread until others started responding to it as both of your emails were
marked as Spam for me.

> And now I would also, separately, like to know, why there is no other
> maintainer contact info to be found anywhere other than this list address?

The stated purpose of these kernels is for debugging.  Specifically we
create them so we can request testing of such base points on reported
bugs.  In that scenario you already have a contact as they are
requesting you install that kernel to test.

Separatly I note that in the conversion there used to be a footer as
below in the HEADER.html which is now missing.  I will get that
reinstated.

  "For further information see: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds"

We should review this page to see if we can make contact information
more accessible.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 06:20:15PM +1000, DanglingPointer wrote:
> Thanks Juerg!
>
> So will that fix retrospectively add the "Changes" file to all the kernels
> missing that file?
>
> When could we expect that fix to happen?

I was not intending to rebuild those which have this file missing, as it
can be found by other means.

-apw