APPLIED(D,E,F): [SRU D/E/F/G/U 0/1] Revert code that causes crashes on default configurations

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Jul 14 06:49:19 UTC 2020

On 10.07.20 01:41, Khaled Elmously wrote:
> On 2020-07-09 16:54:00 , Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
>> BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1886668
>>
>> This is the same patch as sent to Bionic 4.15 kernels.
>>
>> [Impact]
>> On systems using cgroups and sockets extensively, like docker, kubernetes,
>> lxd, libvirt, a crash might happen when using linux 4.15.0-109-generic.
>>
>> [Fix]
>> Revert the patch that disables sk_alloc cgroup refcounting when tasks
>> are added to net_prio cgroup.

Just FYI: The upstream "real fix" for this is [0] plus a followup [1].
I originally wanted to sent it out to the ubuntu kernel list, but got
overloaded with other things and totally forgot about it, sorry!
Figured out that sharing this late is better than never when seeing the
new Ubuntu tag just now.

[0]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=ad0f75e5f57ccbceec13274e1e242f2b5a6397ed
[1]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=14b032b8f8fce03a546dcf365454bec8c4a58d7d

>> [Test case]
>> Test that such environments where the issue is reproduced survive some hours of
>> uptime. A different bug was reproduced with a work-in-progress code and was not
>> reproduced with the culprit reverted.

There's a more direct proposed repoducer [2].

[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/42baf0f8-627b-0ab8-72fc-12d24667ad0a@huawei.com/

cheers,
Thomas