Fwd: Why some patch commits in ubuntu do not contain bug link

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Mon Aug 17 07:52:47 UTC 2020

> Hi Stefan,
>
> It's required that in Ubuntu, "Every patch which is associated with a launchpad
> bug *must* have a link to the bug in the commit's comment section in the form of
> a "BugLink <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugLink>" block. A "BugLink
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugLink>" block *must* immediately follow the subject
> line and be the first text in the body of the commit comment.", according
> to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/StablePatchFormat.
> But there are some patch commits that do not follow the format. Just like
> "1238ed317238a8 x86/speculation, KVM: Implement support for
> VIRT_SPEC_CTRL/LS_CFG" signed-off-by you. Also I notice that these patches
> usually fix a CVE and are cherry-picked or backported from upstream. Are these
> other format requirements in Ubuntu?

Hi David,

as you found already, there are the common bug fixes which are stable release
updates and the security updates which are excepted from the requirement to have
bug reports as that part is already covered by the cve report.
This also is not strictly exclusive as CVE references may be included in
upstream stable submissions which are applied under one tracking bug.

-Stefan