Cherry-pick request (LaunchPad bug #1871688)

Kelsey Skunberg kelsey.skunberg at canonical.com
Mon Apr 20 20:43:01 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-20 15:27:28 , Matt Coleman wrote:
> Hi Kelsey,
>
> Thanks for getting this into the queue!
>
> > For now, Xenial was left out as two of the patches do not apply cleanly.
>

> 16.04 is the one that's most important for us, currently, although I am working on switching the affected systems to 20.04. We only actually have 18.04 on a handful of systems.
>
> I applied the patches to these kernel sources:
> * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcefiles/linux-hwe/4.15.0-74.83~16.04.1/linux-hwe_4.15.0.orig.tar.gz
> * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcefiles/linux-hwe/4.15.0-74.83~16.04.1/linux-hwe_4.15.0-74.83~16.04.1.diff.gz
> * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcefiles/linux-hwe/4.15.0-74.83~16.04.1/linux-hwe_4.15.0-74.83~16.04.1.dsc
>
> The patches should apply just fine, although with an offset.

Ah, stellar, appreciate this information! Xenial/linux-hwe is a derivative of
Bionic/linux. I can confirm these apply cleanly to Xenial/linux-hwe on my side
too.  Pending we can finish approving these patches to be backported into
Bionic/linux, Xenial/linux-hwe will get these automatically.

To verify, with Xenial/linux-hwe being queued to get these patches via
Bionic/linux, this will resolve everything on your side and we can update the
bug targets appropriately?

> I've had this running stably for weeks on my internal 16.04 system that reproduces the issue very quickly on an unpatched kernel, so I'm eager to get this out to the rest of our fleet.
>
> Which kernel source tree are you applying the patch to? I'll try to reproduce your exact steps and see if I have any issues with it.
>
> Thanks again!
> Matt

FWIW, I was applying to Xenial/linux vs Xenial/linux-hwe. Thanks for being
willing to test further on your side! Looks like we both may be able to save the
time. :)

-Kelsey