[X/B/D/E/F/U] Enforce CONFIG_CONTEXT_TRACKING_FORCE

Seth Forshee seth.forshee at canonical.com
Thu Apr 9 17:55:10 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 06:06:18PM -0300, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> This option should not be set, under risk of causing regression for
> userspace. This has been tested that updateconfigs won't fail after getting
> this applied.

The problem I see here is that during our normal config review workflow
the option would naturally get removed from the annotations file, so
we'll have to somehow remember that this option is special and should be
kept around even though the tools will try to remove it. That seems very
error prone.

I guess for stable this approach works, since changes to the annotations
file are manual. I think we need to find a better solution for unstable.

Looking at unstable, it appears the only way this option could get
selected is if VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN is enabled. Maybe we could
enforce this option instead? I know this is also somewhat fragile,
though I think it's somewhat less fragile than what you're proposing.
Otherwise it seems like we need to enhance our annotations to better
support a non-selectable option that we want to have enforced.

Seth