ACK/Cmnt: [SRU][Cosmic][PULL+follow-up] Update speculation side-channel mitigations

Tyler Hicks tyhicks at canonical.com
Wed Mar 27 18:34:49 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-27 12:35:53, Stefan Bader wrote:
> [...]
> >       x86/speculation: Prepare for conditional IBPB in switch_mm()
> >       ptrace: Remove unused ptrace_may_access_sched() and MODE_IBRS
> >       x86/speculation: Split out TIF update
> >       x86/speculation: Prevent stale SPEC_CTRL msr content
> >       x86/speculation: Prepare arch_smt_update() for PRCTL mode
> >       x86/speculation: Add prctl() control for indirect branch speculation
> >       x86/speculation: Enable prctl mode for spectre_v2_user
> >       x86/speculation: Add seccomp Spectre v2 user space protection mode
> >       x86/speculation: Provide IBPB always command line options
> >
> > Tim Chen (7):
> >       x86/speculation: Update the TIF_SSBD comment
> >       x86/speculation: Clean up spectre_v2_parse_cmdline()
> >       x86/speculation: Remove unnecessary ret variable in cpu_show_common()
> >       x86/speculation: Move STIPB/IBPB string conditionals out of cpu_show_common()
> >       x86/speculation: Disable STIBP when enhanced IBRS is in use
> >       x86/speculation: Reorganize speculation control MSRs update
> >       x86/speculation: Prepare for per task indirect branch speculation control
> >
> > Zhenzhong Duan (3):
> >       x86/speculation: Add RETPOLINE_AMD support to the inline asm CALL_NOSPEC variant
> >       x86/retpoline: Make CONFIG_RETPOLINE depend on compiler support
> >       x86/retpoline: Remove minimal retpoline support
> >
> >  Documentation/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt |  56 ++-
> >  Documentation/userspace-api/spec_ctrl.rst       |   9 +
> >  arch/x86/Kconfig                                |  12 +-
> >  arch/x86/Makefile                               |   5 +-
> >  arch/x86/include/asm/msr-index.h                |   5 +-
> >  arch/x86/include/asm/nospec-branch.h            |  43 +-
> >  arch/x86/include/asm/spec-ctrl.h                |  20 +-
> >  arch/x86/include/asm/switch_to.h                |   3 -
> >  arch/x86/include/asm/thread_info.h              |  20 +-
> >  arch/x86/include/asm/tlbflush.h                 |   8 +-
> >  arch/x86/kernel/cpu/bugs.c                      | 526 ++++++++++++++++++------
> >  arch/x86/kernel/process.c                       | 101 ++++-
> >  arch/x86/kernel/process.h                       |  39 ++
> >  arch/x86/kernel/process_32.c                    |  10 +-
> >  arch/x86/kernel/process_64.c                    |  10 +-
> >  arch/x86/mm/tlb.c                               | 115 ++++--
> >  include/linux/ptrace.h                          |   4 +-
> >  include/linux/sched.h                           |   9 +
> >  include/linux/sched/smt.h                       |  20 +
> >  include/uapi/linux/prctl.h                      |   1 +
> >  kernel/cpu.c                                    |  15 +-
> >  kernel/sched/core.c                             |  19 +-
> >  kernel/sched/sched.h                            |   4 +-
> >  scripts/Makefile.build                          |   2 -
> >  tools/include/uapi/linux/prctl.h                |   1 +
> >  create mode 100644 arch/x86/kernel/process.h
> >  create mode 100644 include/linux/sched/smt.h
> >

> All patches seem to fall into the expected range of things. Since it does
> changes some config options, should there be a related updateconfigs change in

There were no changes to the config options. There were changes to how
the in-code ifdef's referred to retpoline. Instead of using RETPOLINE,
they're now using CONFIG_RETPOLINE but the kernel config option itself
remained the same. Therefore, no updateconfigs changes are necessary.

> I can see this being wanted, unfortunately this will be hardly
> testable due to the dependencies to HW support and 32/64 bit
> specialties. But at least Cosmic (and I think there was a Bionic port)
> should be a bit more future proof. So
>
> Acked-by: Stefan Bader <stefan.bader at canonical.com>
> [includes the 4 additional patches]

Thanks for the review!