NAK/cmt: [SRU] [B/C/D/E/Unstable] [PULL] Add in-kernel support for Realtek 8821CE WiFi device

Seth Forshee seth.forshee at canonical.com
Mon Jun 3 15:07:17 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 04:22:25PM -0500, Seth Forshee wrote:
> > > This is not SRU material
> >
> > Can you share more information why it’s not SRU material?
> > I’ve spent weeks to clean this up based on Seth’s feedback.
>
> Wanted to let you know that I am having a look at this for the devel
> series, though I will note that my original feedback was, "this just
> doesn't belong in the distro kernel, imo." I can see that you went to a
> great deal of effort to remove cruft from the driver, so while I cannot
> be expected to review 200,000+ lines of code in a reasonable amount of
> time I will try to get an overall idea of the state of what you came up
> with.

I've come nowhere near doing a complete review of this driver, but based
on what I'm seeing this still isn't a driver that we want to pull into
the distro kernel source. One of my big concerns is that it doesn't seem
to integrate with the kernel wireless support at all and has an
independent 802.11 protocol stack, which I think is going to be very
difficult form a security/support perspective.

We're discussiong other options for shipping this driver without making
it part of our generic kernels. Likely this will have something to do
with our dkms build infrastructure (and so we'd have this as a dkms
driver that gets built and shipped somehow), but we'll follow up with
more information about that soon.

Seth