State of kernel debuggers

Mathieu Tarral mathieu.tarral at protonmail.com
Wed Nov 28 16:17:53 UTC 2018

Hi Ubuntu kernel team !

I would like to start a small discussion with you about the state
of our kernel debuggers in the Linux community.

I would like to know what are the tools that you are using to debug the linux kernel
in your everyday tasks as developers, and if they could be improved.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm actually developing a flexible hypervisor-level debugger:
https://github.com/Wenzel/pyvmidbg

My main drive was having a stealth debugger for malware analysis on Windows at first,
but as a continued my research, it might become a convenient and interesting full-system debugger for a wide variety of use cases.

My main question is here is how hypervisor-level debuggers are solving issues that you may have
with existing debuggers such as KGDB.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best regards,
--