Reminder - Bionic kernel freeze is April 12

Gizmo Chicken gizmochicken at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 17:09:03 UTC 2018

Seth,

A few months ago, I posted a suggestion on the Ubuntu Community Hub
requesting that the Kernel Team "Please consider shipping Ubuntu 18.04
LTS with Linux Kernel 4.16."

Please see https://community.ubuntu.com/t/suggestion-please-consider-shipping-ubuntu-18-04-lts-with-linux-kernel-4-16/4002

Linux 4.16 was released earlier this week. I’ve installed it from
kernel-ppa/mainline onto two different systems running Bionic Beaver,
and so far, I haven’t noticed any adverse issues on either system.

While I realize that it is increasingly less likely that Ubuntu 18.04
LTS will ship with Linux 4.16, I do hope that the Kernel Team will at
least test kernel 4.16 before the “kernel freeze” for Bionic Beaver.
And who knows, if those tests go well, maybe Ubuntu 18.04 LTS could
ship with 4.16, instead of 4.15.

Is there any chance that the Kernel Team will at least test kernel
4.16 before the “kernel freeze” for Bionic Beaver?

Regards,
GizmoChicken

P.S. I posted a related email a few days ago, but didn't receive a reply.

Please see https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2018-April/091285.html