Please consider shipping Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Linux Kernel 4.16

Gizmo Chicken gizmochicken at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 02:49:11 UTC 2018

To the Kernel Team:

First, please accept my sincere apologies for disturbing you during
what must be a very busy time.

A few months ago, I posted a suggestion on the Ubuntu Community Hub
requesting that the Kernel Team "Please consider shipping Ubuntu 18.04
LTS with Linux Kernel 4.16."

Please see https://community.ubuntu.com/t/suggestion-please-consider-shipping-ubuntu-18-04-lts-with-linux-kernel-4-16/4002

Given the addition of more Spectre and Meltdown patches to kernel 4.16
(which will likely need to be backported to 4.15), and given that the
4.16 dev cycle “continue[s] to be pretty normal” (compared to 4.15,
according to Linus Torvalds), I continue to hope that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
will be released with kernel 4.16 instead of kernel 4.15.

Linux 4.16 was released earlier today. I’ve installed it onto Bionic
Beaver from kernel-ppa/mainline, and so far, I haven’t noticed any
adverse issues on my system.

While I realize that it is increasingly less likely that Ubuntu 18.04
LTS will ship with Linux 4.16, I do hope that the Kernel Team will at
least test kernel 4.16 before the “kernel freeze” for Bionic Beaver.
And who knows, if those tests go well, maybe Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will
ship with 4.16, instead of 4.15.

Thanks so much for your consideration.

Regards,
GizmoChicken