Can you provide KASAN enabled kernel packages?

Tetsuo Handa from-ubuntu at I-love.SAKURA.ne.jp
Sat Sep 30 04:49:30 UTC 2017

Hello.

I just browsed at Bug 1720263, for it showed an interesting oops line.

  BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffffffffffffffe1
  IP: security_vm_enough_memory_mm+0x38/0x60
  PGD a72c0c067
  P4D a72c0c067
  PUD a72c0e067
  PMD 0

Address is in error code range and PGD == P4D == PUD, but I don't see
suspicious line in security_vm_enough_memory_mm().

Just rebooting caused another oops.

  [    7.140126] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 0000000009003df6
  [    7.140152] IP: security_file_free+0x22/0x40
  [    7.140162] PGD 0
  [    7.140163] P4D 0

Thus, it might be some memory corruption error (including possibility of
use-after-free bug).

The reporter is going to try mainline kernels. But I think that trying KASAN
enabled version of the same kernel version (i.e. 4.13.0-12-generic #13-Ubuntu)
would also help.

I think it would be nice if a user can install KASAN enabled kernel package and
try reproducing the problem when that user hit "BUG: unable to handle kernel
paging request at" oops, by providing KASAN enabled version from distributors.

By the way, a totally unrelated topic, "The Precise Pangolin (supported) " is
still there at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux . As far as I know,
Precise is already EOL'ed. Any reason you keep showing EOL'ed versions there?