LTS kernel 4.14 on 18.04

Fabio Colella fcole90 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 15:13:55 UTC 2017

Hi all,
I read in the recent kernel news that the tentative plan is to converge on
4.15 for the bionic cycle. My question is then, why not 4.14, which is an
LTS kernel supported for 6 years,  up to 2023, which will receive a lot of
attention, also on the smartphones and IoT side?

I'm not saying Ubuntu 18.04 *should* use 4.14, but given that it seems to
come with many advantages on the stability and safety side, what are the
advantages of 4.15 over 4.14?

Could possibly useful 4.15 features be cherry picked and backported to 4.14
instead of shipping the whole 4.15 and then having to support it with less
cooperation from upstream?

In the eventuality of bionic shipping with 4.15, would 4.14 still be
available in the official repos (or as a kernel snap)?

Br,
Fabio