is linux-meta ${generic-depends} dead code?

Kamal Mostafa kamal at canonical.com
Thu Jan 26 22:15:30 UTC 2017

Can anybody identify any purpose for this GENERIC_DEP and
${generic-depends} code in all of the linux-meta repos rules files?

FILE:  meta-source/debian/rules

GENERIC_i386=generic
GENERIC_amd64=generic
GENERIC_armhf=generic

GENERIC=$(value GENERIC_$(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH))
GENERIC_DEP=$(if $(GENERIC),$(GENERIC),)
 [...]
gencontrol_flags += -Vgeneric-depends=$(GENERIC_DEP)

and e.g. in the raspi2 meta branch there's this instead of the first 3
lines:

GENERIC_armhf=raspi2

It looks to me like the point is to initialize a control file "output
substitution variable" called ${generic-depends}, but I can't find any
references to that variable (anymore?) in any of the control file templates
I've checked.

By contrast, the other two control file variables that get set up along
with ${generic-depends} certainly are used by the control file templates:

gencontrol_flags = -Vkernel-version=$(KERNEL_VERSION)
gencontrol_flags += -Vkernel-abi-version=$(KERNEL_ABI_VERSION)

If ${generic-depends} really does serve no purpose, I'd like to look into
cleaning that out as part of a packaging homogenization idea I'm
experimenting with.

Thoughts?

 -Kamal