libcpupower development package

Juerg Haefliger juerg.haefliger at canonical.com
Thu Aug 31 11:13:04 UTC 2017

Hi Dmitry,

On 08/26/2017 01:41 PM, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> Dear kernel team,
>
> Currently the only way to access cpufreq API on Ubuntu is using libcpufreq-dev
> package from cpufrequtils [1]. However that package is deprecated and has not
> been updated since 2012.
>
> The recommended upstream alternative for that is the cpupower library, which
> is part of Linux kernel. Currently Ubuntu kernel ships the shared library (in
> the linux-tools-* packages), but not the development headers.
>
> There is a bug open since 2013 [2] requesting adding a package for development
> headers. Last year I proposed a patch [3] which adds such a package in a way
> compatible to Debian (so that we can sync Debian packages using it without
> delta). I got a response from Tim Gardner saying that the development package
> should be versioned. I argued that it would be difficult to implement (the
> only way to have the same files in multiple packages that I know is using
> alternatives system), and will break compatibility with Debian.

I think what we want is a versioned package that contains the headers
from the exact kernel version in a versioned subdirectory and a
general/common package that provides the links from the standard include
directory to the versioned dir. That way you can have different versions
of the headers installed. Just like the (rest of the) kernel header files.

For linux-tools, I don't believe we need flavor-specific packages so it
should be sufficient to build something like:

linux-tools-4.4.0-94-dev
  provides the tools header files (and libraries) of kernel 4.4.0-94

linux-tools-dev
  provides the links to the versioned files/directories.

I haven't fully thought this through so comments from others on the list
are more than welcome.

...Juerg