Missing Stable Patches to HWE Causes Virtio Errors on Google Cloud Platform

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Mon Apr 24 06:52:20 UTC 2017

On 22.04.2017 15:56, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hey Stefan and Thadeu,
>
> I'm emailing you guys because you seem to be handling the releases of
> the HWE branch of the Ubuntu kernel. You missed two important patches
> for this kernel, which affect its usage on Google Cloud Platform,
> which has now defaulted to using the HWE kernel:

Hi Jason,

thank you for the info. Though you would help us and speed up the whole process by:

- filing a bug report about this on http://launchpad.net. The mos convenient way
  to do this for you (if you have a user there) is to type "ubuntu-bug linux" on
  one of your GKE instances and then put in the additional info about patches.
- usually that should be enough but if you want to increase visibility, send a
  quick email, which points at the report, to kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com

Having filed a bug report not only allows tracking what and why things go into
the kernel but also allows to notify you once there is a proposed kernel that
includes the changes, so you can verify whether this really helps (and also is
not causing new problems).

Thanks,
Stefan