NAK: LP#1585311 (part 2)

Kamal Mostafa kamal at canonical.com
Fri May 27 13:46:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 01:52:20PM +0100, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> How about these two in addition which switch the script up to python3
> and add a manual page.  I have tested the python3 conversion on an
> actual instance and it seems to produce identicle output.
>
> -apw

While I'm all for modernizing this script, I'd suggest that the patch
"tools/hv/lsvmbus -- convert to python3" should be upstreamed with cc:
stable (first) instead of applied as UBUNTU SAUCE...

1. It does not fix any actual manifesting problem, yet makes our version
of the tools/hv/lsvmbus script diverge from mainline.  Why should we SRU
this?

2. Nothing else in mainline appears to require python3...  Wouldn't
these changes work just as well without the "#!/usr/bin/env python3"
delta?  (So it would continue to work if python3 wasn't installed).

3. I think switching from 'print' command python3 print() function
should always also use "from __future__ import print_function" --
regardless of whether or not the script currently "needs" that --
because not doing so introduces a hard-to-debug situation when somebody
tries to add e.g.: print(..., end='') to what appears to be a print()
function call.

 -Kamal