[3.19.y-ckt stable][dropping] Patch "powerpc: Simplify module TOC handling"

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Mon Feb 15 09:22:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-02-11 at 12:11 -0800, Kamal Mostafa wrote:

> > On Wed, 2016-02-10 at 09:49 +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> > > Please also add this followup patch by Anton:
> > > https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Base:System/kmod/depmod-Ignore_PowerPC64_ABIv2_.TOC.symbol.patch
> > > depmod: Ignore PowerPC64 ABIv2 .TOC. symbol
>
> On Wed, 2016-02-10 at 11:53 -0800, Kamal Mostafa wrote:
>
> > That ("depmod: Ignore PowerPC64 ABIv2 .TOC. symbol") is a patch to
> > 'kmod' which is not part of the kernel source tree.  So I can't include
> > that patch in a stable kernel release -- each distro's kmod package
> > would have to do that.
>
> Okay, I now realize that the stable kernel patch ("powerpc: Simplify
> module TOC handling") will break the ppc64 build for hosts that don't
> have that depmod patch.
>
> So, pending any further discussion here, I'm going to drop this from 4.2
> and 3.19 -stable after all:
>
> c153693d powerpc: Simplify module TOC handling

Yep, OK.

For some reason my build process didn't catch the failure, so I didn't realise
the depmod patch was required when I merged it.

The dilemma we have now is if we don't backport it then the branches that don't
have it won't be able to build with future binutils. But I guess that's a
problem for the future whereas the depmod breakage is happening right now.

cheers