kGraft/kPatch support in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Chris J Arges chris.j.arges at canonical.com
Wed Sep 23 16:22:25 UTC 2015

On 09/23/2015 11:04 AM, Andrew Martin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was very excited to see live kernel patching get accepted into the mainline
> kernel in 4.0. For server environments where uptime is crucial and rebooting
> servers to install kernel security fixes is very disruptive, the ability to live
> patch security fixes into the running kernel is a very desirable feature. Are
> there any plans to add support for the kGraft/kPatch support available in 4.x
> series kernels in Ubuntu Server 16.04? This would be a fantastic feature
> for the next LTS release and would be a huge improvement to timely application
> of security fixes in Ubuntu servers!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Martin

Andrew,

Hey already replied on ubuntu-server ML, but figured I'd reply here too.
Just for clarification kGraft/kPatch have been mainlined into 'Kernel
Live Patching' which uses concepts from both technologies [1].

So yes, we are actively looking into kernel live patching, stay tuned!

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/624546/

--chris j arges