[UBUNTU (3.19) PATCH 0/4] i915 to call HDA on HDMI hotplug

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Sep 2 12:05:45 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-02 13:50, Ara Pulido wrote:
>>> These are the bugs for your reference:
>>> Master bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1490895
>>> Dell BDW: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kittyhawk/+bug/1321986
>>> Dell HSW: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1383997,
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1393701\
>>> HP:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/1379180
>>> Lenovo:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lts-utopic/+bug/1433891
>>
>> And the kernel to test is the +bpo2.2 kernel at
>> http://koti.kapsi.fi/~tjaalton/skl/
>>
>> Please make sure you do not have any ALSA DKMS installed while testing.
>> Thanks!
>>

> What's the scope of the testing?
>
> Just testing HDMI and DP hotplug on a SKL, a BDW and a HSW system? What
> kind of regression testing should we doing?

That would be the primary test, yes. In the sound settings dialog, one
should see an HDMI/DP output whenever the video subsystem detects it,
and likewise there should not be one in case the video subsystem does
not detect one.

For HSW, BDW and SKL I believe the video subsystem automatically detects
plug and unplug events, so then that should show up on the audio side
too. Having it plugged in at boot time should work as expected, too.

In some cases, this has been more of a problem when the computer is
running on battery than AC, so checking both AC power and battery power
behaviour could be interesting.

Regressions to be checked for (other than the specified functionality
not working): crashes, hangs, stack traces in dmesg.

Thanks a lot for helping out!

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic