[UBUNTU (3.19) PATCH 0/4] i915 to call HDA on HDMI hotplug

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Sep 2 09:23:05 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-01 21:38, Brad Figg wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 12:04:05PM +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
>> This is a patch set fixing a long-standing bug for some Haswell, Broadwell and most Skylake machines.
>>
>> When the HDA audio controller is in D3, a hotplug event (i e, HDMI or DisplayPort being plugged in) fails to wake up the audio side so it never registers that something has happened.
>>
>> By having the i915 driver call directly into the hda driver, the HDA driver is always notified that an HDMI hotplug event has happened.
>>
>> I've been trying to get this through upstream, but it has been slower than usual due to it touching both the i915 and HDA subsystems, and ideally I wanted it in there first, but I don't think OEM wants to miss another SRU cycle. So this is on its way in upstream, but not there yet. The patches here are based on v5 of my patch set, and v4 were both reviewed by Jani Nikula and Takashi Iwai.
>>
>> Now, I've tested the upstream version, but I've just backported this to 3.19 without any testing. I could use Timo's assistance here so we coordinate testing this with other i915 changes for the next SRU cycle. And I could use Timo's help to make sure this applies equally to i915 and i915_bpo.
>>
>> BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1490895
> I want to see some positive test results in the bug before I'm going to
> take this.

Me too. :-)

Once Timo has a finished build (and I've provided him with a version
that actually compiles, *ahem*), could Anthony help assign people to
help us test it? It would be very nice if we could have this tested on
more than one of (Skylake / Broadwell / Haswell).

@Anthony, if you look at the duplicates for bug 1490895 (e g, 1383997) I
think you'll quickly understand what all of this is about.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic