ACK: LP#1465998 -- overlayfs "rmdir" panic issue

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Wed Jun 17 18:35:47 UTC 2015

On 17.06.2015 20:17, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> The overlayfs emergency CVE fix backports for trusty, precise and utopic
> have the potential to trigger a kernel panic in the face of cirtain
> operations against directory objects only on the lower layer (at least).
> Following this email are patches for trusty, precise and utopic.
>
> Proposing for SRU to trusty, precise and utopic.  Vivid and Wily should
> not be affected.
>
> Reviews appreciated.
>
> -apw

Assuming those two places where the same that the check previously got
introduced it looks like a sane approach to do safety checking. The Precise
patch changes a different function in the first hunk, Trusty and Utopic I can
see no difference.
Alternatively the checking function could be made exiting ok if the second
argument is a NULL pointer but not really a reason not to go with this approach.

Acked for all releases.

-Stefan