NAK: [Utopic] [PULL] UBUNTU: fix no console in case of cloud environment

Dann Frazier dann.frazier at canonical.com
Wed Apr 1 23:48:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Stefan Bader <stefan.bader at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 01.04.2015 04:10, Ming Lei wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Stefan Bader
>> <stefan.bader at canonical.com> wrote:

>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelUpdates
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/StablePatchFormat
>>
>> Could you say more words about the NAK? It is because
>> the patchset isn't suitable as SRU? Or some patch style issue?
>
> I thought to provide links to _style_ guidelines would carry the message. I
> tried "more words" last time and this time the style seems even worse.
> I cannot understand the explanation either. So I have no way of making any
> decision about why we should pick this up for Utopic.

As for the explanation, let me try to elaborate (as this was something
I suggested we do).

Our ultimate goal is to enable portable LTS cloud images for ARM64
that comply with Linaro's ARM VM specification[*]. We can boot non-EFI
trusty/utopic cloud images today, but they are incompatible with this
spec, and are generally a pain to manage because w/o EFI you have to
provide a kernel external to the disk image. Today our arm64-efi
images are not usable due to a handful of issues that we are working
to address. The kernel related ones are:
 1) The 3.13 kernel did not yet contain EFI support
 2) The 3.13 and 3.16 kernels did not yet contain the code to detect
the console from the hypervisor-provided dtb.

Utopic already has #1, but is missing #2. Obviously we don't want
utopic (or trusty+utopic hwe) to be a regression from trusty, so
adding that support there first before tackling 3.13 seems to make
sense.

  -dann

[*] http://www.linaro.org/app/resources/WhitePaper/VMSystemSpecificationForARM-v1.0.pdf