[3.13.y.z extended stable] Patch "USB: serial: ftdi_sio: Annotate the current Xsens PID assignments" has been added to staging queue

Greg Kroah-Hartman gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Sep 16 17:49:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 08:02:19AM -0700, Kamal Mostafa wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 07:38 -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> > > Specifically, I said that we would consider it:

> > > ... and we are still considering it.
> >
> > Ok, what does that exactly mean?
>
> It means that we will weigh the costs and benefits of doing so,
> including:
>  - how much confusion we think our current naming convention actually
> might causes, or doesn't.
>  - how much confusion changing it would cause for consumers of the
> kernels we maintain.

Any idea how you will be doing this?

>  - the amount of tooling changes it would take to implement such a
> change.
>  - whether or not we think its a good idea at all.

Lovely squishy things :)

> >   How long are you going to be "considering it"?
>
> Until we reach a conclusion.

Any specific timeframe?

> >   Who is doing the "considering"?
>
> The Canonical Kernel team.  I.e. the people and organization who
> maintains the kernels you're complaining about.

I'm only "complaining" about the version number, not the work happening.

> > And why did you strip off the public mailing lists to your response?
>
> I did NOT do so, Greg.  I stripped off these individuals from the Cc:
> line, who were present because they were included in the USB patch to
> which you replied (note the subject line of this thread).  These
> individuals are not likely interested in your version naming issue:
>
>         Cc:	Patrick Riphagen <patrick.riphagen at xsens.com>,
>          Frans Klaver <frans.klaver at xsens.com>,
>          Johan Hovold <johan at kernel.org>
>
> The patch message to which you replied was sent to only one list, which
> I left Cc:'d ( kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com ).

My fault, you set the reply-to on the original patch to go to this list,
which my email client rightfully chose.  Sorry for the statement, I was
wrong.

thanks,

greg k-h