[3.13.y.z extended stable] Patch "USB: serial: ftdi_sio: Annotate the current Xsens PID assignments" has been added to staging queue

Kamal Mostafa kamal at canonical.com
Tue Sep 16 15:02:19 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 07:38 -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 06:36:54AM -0700, Kamal Mostafa wrote:

> > > I thought you said you were going to "name" your kernel something else
> > > not as confusing as ".y.z" would be?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > greg k-h
> > >

> > Specifically, I said that we would consider it:
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 12:14:18PM -0700, Kamal Mostafa wrote:
> > > We'll consider that idea for future extended stable versions maintained
> > > by our team.
> >
> > ... and we are still considering it.
>
> Ok, what does that exactly mean?

It means that we will weigh the costs and benefits of doing so,
including:
 - how much confusion we think our current naming convention actually
might causes, or doesn't.
 - how much confusion changing it would cause for consumers of the
kernels we maintain.
 - the amount of tooling changes it would take to implement such a
change.
 - whether or not we think its a good idea at all.

>   How long are you going to be "considering it"?

Until we reach a conclusion.

>   Who is doing the "considering"?

The Canonical Kernel team.  I.e. the people and organization who
maintains the kernels you're complaining about.

> And why did you strip off the public mailing lists to your response?

I did NOT do so, Greg.  I stripped off these individuals from the Cc:
line, who were present because they were included in the USB patch to
which you replied (note the subject line of this thread).  These
individuals are not likely interested in your version naming issue:

        Cc:	Patrick Riphagen <patrick.riphagen at xsens.com>,
         Frans Klaver <frans.klaver at xsens.com>,
         Johan Hovold <johan at kernel.org>

The patch message to which you replied was sent to only one list, which
I left Cc:'d ( kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com ).

 -Kamal