[Utopic SRU] LP#1378648 -- No login prompt displayed on FB console after Ubuntu 14.10 installation Edit

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Thu Oct 16 10:08:12 UTC 2014

On 16.10.2014 09:54, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We have some sever console issues on ppc64el systems, this has been traced
> to the newly introduced bochs-drm frambuffer device which interacts
> badly with the efifb.  This prevents interaction with the installer.
>
> Following this email is a patch to disable this frambuffer.
>
> Proposing for SRU to utopic.

Found out this morning that this bochs-drm would be used when running a Xen HVM
with VGA/Xen graphics (probably also KVM when setting VGA). The effect of
blacklisting bochs-drm will be that those VMs will be falling back to use the
EFI VGA framebuffer (as before). Which looks more or less the same for just a
server install. It will lack to be supported by a DRM driver wrt Unity. But at
least it cannot be seen as a regression.

-Stefan