[SRU] Set the default IO scheduler to CFQ in Kubuntu Trusty

Rohan Garg rohangarg at kubuntu.org
Thu Oct 9 16:15:17 UTC 2014

Hi

> As I said, the switch to deadline was seen to address existing problems with
> applications on the unity desktop (when running on an HDD) becoming
> non-responsive under heavy I/O.  Switching back to cfq is likely to
> reintroduce this problem.

Right and this data is fairly out of date right? I mean, is there up
to date data
on whether or not switching to CFQ will definitely cause issues in Unity?

I'd rather work with data which we have right now ( general feedback from users
suggests that baloo performance is quite bad with deadline and improves with the
switch to CFQ ) rather than making assumptions based on outdated data.

>> but the pro's of changing the scheduler to cfq in order to get better
>> performance in a KDE session
>> outweigh this performance hit ( if there is one ).
>
> How do they outweigh it?  I think you can only say they outweigh it if
> you're running the Kubuntu desktop.  If you're running the Ubuntu desktop,
> but have the Kubuntu desktop installed, you will have a different
> assessment.
>
> I thought that Edubuntu was still including both Ubuntu and Kubuntu on their
> DVD, which would be a clear example of why this would be the case.  It
> doesn't look like Kubuntu is on that image anymore, so maybe this is a
> negligible use case.

The udev rule is shipped via the kubuntu-settings package which does not land in
the Edubuntu install manifest [1]. So I'm pretty sure this does not
impact them at all.

Cheers
Rohan Garg

[1] http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/trusty/release/xubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.manifest