Fwd: Standard location to install device tree files?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri May 23 01:05:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 03:51:42PM +0200, Paolo Pisati wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 01:10:45PM +0100, Robie Basak wrote:
> > Any comments from the Ubuntu side of things, please? Replies should
> > probably go to the cross-distro list, I guess. The thread is at:

> > http://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/cross-distro/2014-May/000676.html

> i see two requirements here:

> 1) create a symlink in a fixed location (e.g. /boot/dtb) that points to the
> latest dtbs installment (much like /vmlinuz points to the kernel)

> 2) move dtbs to a filesystem that u-boot can handle (extX or vfat so far)

> to make this effective we need to achieve both (there's little point in
> creating /boot/dtb -> /lib/firmware/etcetc if /lib is an xfs/btrfs filesystem)

> so, IMO, the symlink position is what the cross-distro ml should pick,
> while we as a distribution, should move the dtbs to a place that u-boot
> can always access

> any thoughts on this?

Riku brought this up for discussion on #debian-arm the other day, and I
argued against this proposal as an attempt to standardize something that
doesn't need to be standardized.  Ubuntu (like Debian) already uses
flash-kernel to ensure that if a dtb needs to be accessible to the
bootloader, it's installed to an appropriate place.  Putting other dtbs that
are *not* used by the bootloader on the currently-installed platform into
/boot is wrong from an FHS standpoint.