echo 75000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp - Permission denied!!

John Hupp ubuntu at prpcompany.com
Mon Jun 9 16:57:38 UTC 2014

On 6/9/2014 10:20 AM, Seth Forshee wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 10:39:46AM -0400, John Hupp wrote:
>> Trying to edit an acpi thermal trip point, I show from
>> /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0:
>>
>> $ echo 75000 > trip_point_1_temp
>> bash: trip_point_1_temp: Permission denied
> This command isn't going to work unless you're in a root shell.
>
>> I get the same result using sudo.
> Is it really the same, or does it say "Operation not permitted" instead?
> If so, then it probably means that the driver behind that trip point
> does not support changing the trip point temperature (which isn't
> necessarily a bug, it might really be impossible to change it).

Yes, I verify "Permission  denied":
$ sudo sh -c "echo 75000 > trip_point_1_temp"
sh: 1: cannot create trip_point_1_temp: Permission denied

Since posting, I found this 2007 article that says the kernel no longer
(as of 2.6.22) supports changing the trip points:
http://lwn.net/Articles/244595/

Many people reportedly complained about that kernel change, so I wonder,
is the current kernel design still such that the trip points cannot be
changed?

Since there are currently no active fan cooling trip points set for this
Lenovo 3000, only the passive one at 87 C and the critical one at 102 C,
if I want some active cooling, is my only recourse to modify the DSDT?
That would seem like a needlessly deep dive, but I'd like to know if
it's my only option.