APPLIED: UBUNTU: [Config] Armada 37x/38x/XP based boards support (e.g. Globalscale Mirabox)

Paolo Pisati paolo.pisati at canonical.com
Sun Jul 27 13:50:14 UTC 2014

tip of U/master-next as this morning, it works:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7875171/

Marvell>> printenv bootcmd
bootcmd=run bootcmd_mmc_full

Marvell>> printenv bootcmd_mmc_full
bootcmd_mmc_full=usb start; fatload usb 1 0x6400000 uImage; fatload usb 1
0x7000000 uInitrd; run bootargs_mmc; bootm 0x6400000 0x7000000:$filesize

Marvell>> printenv bootargs_mmc
bootargs_mmc=setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sdb2 rw
rootwait debug earlyprintk

here's a copy of this kernel:
http://people.canonical.com/~ppisati/linux-image-3.16.0-6-generic_3.16.0-6.11~485c3df_armhf.deb

and here's a flash-kernel patch to support the Mirabox:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flash-kernel/+bug/1348200

what's the last message that you see on console?

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com>
wrote:

> On 07/16/2014 07:57 AM, Paolo Pisati wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 08:02:49AM -0400, Tim Gardner wrote:
> >>
> >> We must have _some_ core components built-in that are of little use on
> >> armhf. I'd consider turning them off in order to save some RAM on these
> >> small footprint systems. Also, I'd love to be able to use my Mirabox
> >> with a stock kernel.
> >
> > ok, it seems some of the latest patches slightly reduced the kernel size
> > (~5.7MB in U/master-next), so if you cut a release now you will get a
> working
> > kernel even withot the -Os patch: to trigger the bug i usually compile
> in some
> > network device support, so we might be good for a bit.
> >
> >> I wonder if you could chain from the 1.1 u-boot loader to a newer u-boot
> >> that could actually load a large kernel ? The alternative is to post a
> >> u-boot repository with the size corrections, but that requires a
> >> somewhat harrowing u-boot upgrade (plus its a giant pain in the ass to
> >> build). If you botch the upgrade then you own a brick.
> >
> > unfortunately support for the mirabox is not present in upstream u-boot
> since it
> > requires some proprietary blob for the ddr initiliazation -
> coincidentally,
> > after i sent the config changes to enable the board, i got a message
> back from
> > Globalscale tech support asking what this bug was about, and i sent them
> all
> > the details so, cross your finger, and we might get a fixed bootloader
> soon.
> >

> Paolo - I took a quick pass at this yesterday using
> git://kernel.ubunt.com/rtg/mirabox.git and booting from TFTP. The kernel
> was about 5.6 MB but I didn't ever get a console. Could you have a look
> to see if Utopic master still works for you ?
>
> rtg
>
> --
> Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com

--