Enable hibernation

Phillip Susi psusi at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 7 23:28:29 UTC 2014

On 01/07/2014 02:05 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Not even remotely!  The result of rebooting to a different kernel
> after hibernate is loss of application state and an unclean
> filesystem.  That needs much better than a big red 'reboot' flag,
> which doesn't tell the user anything about hibernate being
> dangerous.

It isn't worth throwing the baby out with the bath water to fix.
Apparently it was never a big enough deal to fix properly, so it isn't
a good reason to disable hibernate all together.

> Right - as noted in my other mail, one of the failure scenarios
> here is that the user hibernates, closes up the laptop and stows it
> in the bag, not realizing it's failed to hibernate.

Like I said there, I can see disabling it for lid switch if it can't
be fixed to fall back to standby properly, but that doesn't mean that
manual hibernate should be disabled.

> I don't think there's any evidence of this being true.  I think
> there's a very small percentage of Ubuntu power users who
> understand the difference between suspend and hibernate - using
> those names - well enough to take advantage of that difference; and
> then there's the much larger number of ordinary users, who should
> be protected from the bugs.

Everyone I know who is moderately computer literate and used windows
95, 2000 or xp on a laptop was quite aware of the difference.  As I
said when I started this thread, the popularity of the question on how
to fix this on askubuntu and the number of comments in the bug report
shows that the number of people who want it is *not* small.

> There are ways that educated users can re-enable hibernate support
> today (Marc alluded to one of them in this thread).  I don't think
> we should expose hibernate more broadly than it already is without
> corresponding effort to improve the reliability of the option.

Having to google for tips on editing an xml file that is replaced on
upgrade is not acceptable.  Users looking for this feature must be
able to find it relatively easily, like with a check box added to the
gnome power settings.  And before you say patches are welcome, this
burden really should have been on those wanting to disable it in the
first place, but if that is what it takes to get it turned back on,
I'll try to put some time into it.  Part of the reason I brought this
up to the technical board is because I don't want to waste my time if
it won't be accepted.