Enable hibernation

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 7 06:09:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 01:50:32PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Phillip,
>
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:51:54AM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
>
> > Bug #812394 disabled the hibernate menu option by default.  Given the
> > number of people commenting in the bug and the popularity of questions
> > on askubuntu how to turn it back on, I believe this was a serious
> > mistake and should be reversed.
>
> > I would like the technical board to review any reasons for why this
> > feature that many people rely on should not be enabled by default.
>
> Now that the tech board has been reconsituted, I suppose we should address
> this. :)
>
> The hibernate menu option was disabled because it was exposed in many cases
> where hibernate would not work reliably.  Indeed, I was recently trying to
> make pm-hibernate work for me on the commandline in trusty (because my
> machine seems to be in its death throes and suspend no longer works reliably
> for me), and found that, even though I have a 6GB swap partition and 4GB of
> RAM, I am consistently unable to hibernate here (I think kernel changes wrt
> dm-crypt may be to blame).

I don't think that dm-crypt is to blame. I've hibernated my machine running on
dm-crypt+lvm root, swap and home just fine in recent releases.

The only issue I've seen before is that sometimes TuxOnIce (custom kernel) fails
to allocate enough memory despite supposedly having enough swap space to
accomodate the used memory, though I've attributed that to the memory subsystem
of cgroups.

This is on a machine with 12GB of RAM and 4GB of swap.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin