Enable hibernation

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 6 21:32:11 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 03:03:14PM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 01:50:32PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I know it's a feature that power users value, but I think the technical
> > rationale for removing the option was valid, and still applies today.  I
> > think a precondition for reintroducing the option to the menu should be to
> > resolve the reliability problems that led to its removal in the first place
> > (including the problem of systems having insufficient swap allocation), and
> > to get the buy-in from the kernel team (cc:ed) that it will be supportable
> > in the future.

> I still don't see the sense in hiding a feature because it's buggy. How
> else should we expect it to get fixed?

The buggy behavior was exposed for quite some time and was not fixed.  I
don't see that continuing to expose users to the bugs by default
significantly improves the chances of these bugs being fixed.

To turn the question around: how does not having hibernate currently exposed
prevent anyone from fixing the underlying bugs so that we could consider
re-enabling it?

> How about supporting the failure condition better? Add a dialog with
> instructions/warnings? At the very least the option should be able to be
> added back with a setting an adventurous user can set.

I'm comfortable with the idea of this being a hidden toggle that the
adventurous user can opt in to.  I don't think it should be something in the
UI unless someone is going to commit to making the experience more robust.
Having a dialog pop up when you click the hibernate button - or when you
close the lid expecting the machine to hibernate! - is cold comfort when the
hibernation failure causes your machine to overheat in the bag, for
instance.