Enable hibernation

Jason DeRose jason at system76.com
Fri Jan 3 22:33:46 UTC 2014

Excuse the top-post, but I wanted to quickly chime in from the OEM perspective on this (System76).

Suspend is quite difficult to support from an OEM perspective, and personally I'm glad it's not exposed in the UI.

It's a confluence of 3 things that have become problematic:

1) Systems with a lot of RAM
2) Systems with a smallish SSD
3) What if a customer installs more RAM themselves?

We sell a lot of laptops with 16GiB of RAM, and a lot of desktops with 32GiB of RAM, but those same systems often ship with a 120GB or 240GB SSD for the system drive. And when you consider the case of a customer installing more RAM on their own, you really should make the swap partition sized to the maximum amount of RAM a system could take. Burning 32GiB on a 120GB SSD doesn't make for a good impression with the customer (why is my SSD smaller than it should be?). Same problem exists with Intel Rapid Start. A swap file (instead of swap partition) would solve this, but personally I'd still prefer to keep suspend hidden.

Anyway, now that we don't need to worry about suspend, System76 ships its products with a fixed 4 GiB swap partition, regardless of what the installed amount of RAM is (or what the maximum installable amount of RAM is). We've been doing this since Raring, so far without any customer complaints or support issues around this choice.