Team membership changes

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Tue Apr 8 14:10:33 UTC 2014

On 04/06/2014 01:24 PM, Iain Lane wrote:
> Kernel team,
>
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 06:22:32PM +0000, Team Membership monitoring wrote:
>> Team Membership changes:
>> * Kamal Mostafa (~kamalmostafa) joined ubuntu-kernel-uploaders (expires on 2016-03-30)
>> […]
>
> Our script noticed this change. I was surprised because I didn't see an
> email about this change to devel-permissions.
>
> The application procedure
>
>    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/UploadRights#Screening_Process
>
> says that candidates should be considered at an IRC meeting and then
> voted on in that meeting, with the result being sent to the DMB and the
> kernel team. I can't find any evidence of this. Can you point us to
> where the application was considered, please?
>
> Thanks,

Hmm, this was likely an oversight on my part. The real goal was to allow
Kamal the ability to set Launchpad nominations for releases, though
granting him upload rights did not do what I expected.

In a practical sense the kernel team doesn't require per-package upload
rights since we use a team de-virtualized PPA for all kernel packages.
One must be a member of the Canonical kernel team in order to upload.
Packages are then copied from this PPA directly to the archive by a
core-dev after having passed a battery of SRU testing, thereby adhering
to the spirit of per package upload rights.

Mea culpa. What action would you like me to take ? I have complete faith
in Kamal. He is, after all, a Debian developer as well as an upstream
stable kernel maintainer.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com