patchset to enable user namespaces

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 24 14:47:41 UTC 2013

Quoting Andy Whitcroft (apw at canonical.com):
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 05:08:26PM -0500, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The final patches needed to resolve conflicts between XFS and user
> > namespaces are in 3.12.  I've backported them to saucy at
> >
> > 	http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=serge/ubuntu-saucy.git;a=summary # m.sep23.xfs2
> >
> > This has 7 patches cherrypicked from Linus' tree, one patch by
> > myself to add a sysctl, default off, to enable unprivileged use
> > of CLONE_NEWUSER, and a packaging patch to set CONFIG_USER_NS=y.
>
> These are pretty big patches to be bringing so late to the party.  I am
> particularly concerned that you have missed the beta deadline so we will
> be shovelling this into the kernel after the majority of the testing has
> been completed.

Until I heard, last week, that the patches had hit 3.12, I was
resigned to having the patches land in the first s+1 kernel.
I'm still ok with that, if that's preferable.  The backport
was trivial so I wanted to sling these over to see what you
thought.  (I also wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to be
the case that we wouldn't turn on a new feature during s+1 since
it is an LTS cycle)

So I can make the changes to the tree if you still wanted to
see them, but otherwise I'll aim to remember those tips for
next time - thanks!

-serge