patchset to enable user namespaces

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue Sep 24 07:59:30 UTC 2013

On 24.09.2013 00:08, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The final patches needed to resolve conflicts between XFS and user
> namespaces are in 3.12.  I've backported them to saucy at
>
> 	http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=serge/ubuntu-saucy.git;a=summary # m.sep23.xfs2
>
> This has 7 patches cherrypicked from Linus' tree, one patch by
> myself to add a sysctl, default off, to enable unprivileged use
> of CLONE_NEWUSER, and a packaging patch to set CONFIG_USER_NS=y.
>
> thanks,
> -serge

From a quick glance this looked mostly ok. Maybe one or the other patch I would
like to re-read a bit more in depth to understand what is done.
Just wondering about extending sysctl. Mainly whether this would make it
accidentally be part of a common interface and then is hard to get rid of.
And just for completeness, it does not hurt but doing changelog changes is
unnessecary as we won't use that. The kernel changelog is generated on packaging
from git commit log.

-Stefan