Enabling Kerneloops in Saucy or T Series

Joseph Salisbury joseph.salisbury at canonical.com
Thu Sep 5 14:09:46 UTC 2013

On 09/05/2013 08:29 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 04.09.2013 17:47, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> On 04.09.2013 16:03, Joseph Salisbury wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In prior releases, the kerneloops daemon was enabled early in the development
>>> cycle to help catch serious kernel bugs.  Before release, kerneloops is then
>>> disabled again.
>>>
>>> Kerneloops has not been enabled the past couple of releases due to a bug[0].
>>> However, that bug does not appear to affect Saucy.
>>>
>>> Since kerneloops seems to be working in Saucy, do we want to consider
>>> enabling kerneloops for the rest of the Saucy cycle or wait until the next
>>> cycle?
>> If I remember that correctly (it is just too long ago), there was something not
>> working and then, while talking about it on some sprint there was the desire to
>> take what it did but embed it into something else and avoid running a polling
>> deamon. I have something that could be used somewhere but we got nowhere from
>> there...
> So there is a submit-oops.tgz in my home directory on chinstrap. I just can not
> remember how it was supposed to be triggered. Do Andy or Louis remember?
In the apport source, there is a scripts that submits the oops upstream:
~/usr/bin/kerneloops-submit/data/package-hooks/source_linux.py.  This
script asks the user if they want to submit the oops upstream.  If the
users says yes, it will run the executable: /usr/bin/kerneloops-submit.
The source for the kerneloops-submit package is in the kernel oops
source tree.  The kerneloops-submit executable checks
/etc/kerneloops.conf, which has the URL to submit the oops to upstream:
http://submit.kerneloops.org/submitoops.php  According to the LKML
thread, that URL can still be used to submit oops[0] as well as the new
API at:  http://oops.kernel.org/submitoops.php

Also, the kerneloops daemon is enabled in /etc/default/kerneloops.

[0] https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/8/22/208