HWE kernels and OpenAFS

Anders Kaseorg andersk at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 20 20:48:02 UTC 2013

As we just discussed briefly in #ubuntu-uds-core-2, openafs-modules-dkms
is a universe package that almost always needs patches or new upstream
versions to deal with new kernel uploads.  I’m usually happy to do all the
packaging work (I also maintain the ~openafs PPAs); however, I’ve been
having a lot of trouble bringing this work to the attention of developers
who can do anything with the patches.  In this case, the bug in question
is https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/openafs/+bug/1206387:

2013-07-30: bug reported
2013-08-23: Ubuntu 12.04.3 released, breaking OpenAFS
2013-08-26: backport debdiff posted
2013-08-27: Ubuntu Sponsors Team subscribed
2013-10-01: bug description updated with more SRU details
2013-11-11: upload queued for precise-proposed
2013-11-18: reupload queued with fixed version number (still unapproved)

I’d be interested in any ways I can help to make this timeline faster in
the future, especially the multiple months between when a tested patch was
sent to the Ubuntu Sponsors Team and when it was uploaded (and then only
because I repeatedly bugged Luke about it in person).  What can we do to
make sure that we have the attention of the relevant developers, and if
possible, that the necessary patches are landed before HWE kernels migrate
out of -proposed?

Anders