HWE Source Policy

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Mon May 6 12:12:33 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 04:17 PM, Samson Yeung wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ksplice is _considering_ adding support for the HWE kernels.
>
> (Please reply directly as I am not on list.)
>
> I am not having any luck via Google, can someone point me at a policy
> that states that the HWE backport kernel is always going to be built
> from exactly the same source and config as the forwards version?
>
> Eg.
> Is the Precise HWE kernel:
>   linux-image-3.5.0-27-generic (3.5.0-27.46~precise1)
> absolutely going to be built from the same source and config as the
> corresponding Quantal kernel?
>   linux-image-3.5.0-27-generic (3.5.0-27.46)
>
> Or, if this is not true, point me towards some documentation that says so?
>
> Also, what is the release scheduling - is it possible for an HWE kernel
> to be released before forward version?
>
> Regards,
> -Samson Yeung

LTS kernels will always be generated from the git repository of the
release kernel. For example, the Raring kernel in Precise is generated
by running debian.raring/etc/update-from-raring-master. This script can
be found in the lts-backport-raring branch of the Precise repository.

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-precise.git

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com