Proposed 12.04.3 + 13.04 HWE Stack Policies and Procedures

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Fri Mar 22 05:25:35 UTC 2013

On 03/21/2013 04:53 AM, David Henningsson wrote:

Hi David,

> On 03/20/2013 08:52 PM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Given the recent decision from the Tech Board to reduce the support
>> duration for non-LTS releases from 18mo to 9mo [1], I've written up what
>> I'd like to propose as the 13.04 HWE stack policies and procedures for
>> the the next 12.04.3 LTS point release.  Could I ask for a review and
>> feedback to ensure this matches what others had in mind?  I'd ideally
>> like to come to an agreement before 13.04 releases.
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Proposed_12.04.3_.2B-_13.04_Hardware_Enablement_Stack_Policies_and_Procedures
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Leann
>>
>> [1]
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2013-March/001566.html
>>

> > Only the -generic x86 kernel flavor from 13.04 will be supported in
> > the Raring HWE stack in Precise.
>
> This means both i386 and amd64, right?

That's correct.

> > We only intend to support HWE stack package combinations in 12.04
> > which are derived from the same release, eg. the 13.04 X.org must be
> > used in conjunction with the 13.04 kernel and vice versa. Intermixing
> > a 13.04 enablement kernel with the 12.04 X.org stack or a 13.04
> > enablement X.org stack with a 12.04 kernel will not be officially
> > tested nor supported.
>
> From earlier discussions, I was expecting a 13.04 kernel and 12.04
> X.org stack combination to be supported as well. Has this recently
> changed, or did I get it wrong earlier

I know we had discussions regarding intermixing HWE stack package
combinations from different releases, but in the end we decided it would
be best to only allow HWE stack combinations derived from the same
release.  We made this decision because we didn't feel we had the
necessary resources to properly QA all the different package
combinations.  Additionally, by only allowing the use of HWE stack
combinations derived from the same release, we would automatically
receive a good deal of testing and feedback through the natural
development cycle for a release which would eventually be delivered as
an HWE stack, ie the 12.10 development cycle would naturally test the
12.10 kernel coupled with the 12.10 X stack.

Thanks,
Leann