Proposed 12.04.3 + 13.04 HWE Stack Policies and Procedures

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Fri Mar 22 04:53:56 UTC 2013

On 03/20/2013 03:28 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Leann,
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:52:27PM -0700, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
>> Given the recent decision from the Tech Board to reduce the support
>> duration for non-LTS releases from 18mo to 9mo [1], I've written up what
>> I'd like to propose as the 13.04 HWE stack policies and procedures for
>> the the next 12.04.3 LTS point release.  Could I ask for a review and
>> feedback to ensure this matches what others had in mind?  I'd ideally
>> like to come to an agreement before 13.04 releases.
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Proposed_12.04.3_.2B-_13.04_Hardware_Enablement_Stack_Policies_and_Procedures
>
>   For the 12.04.3 CDs, we will default to the new Raring HWE stack. Due to
>   size limitations we are unable to provide options for both the Raring HWE
>   stack and the original Precise stack.
>
> One of the points that came out of the vUDS session was that OEMs (at least
> Dell and System76) did not expect to take up the new HWE stack in 12.04.3.
> Has this topic been explored with other Canonical partners?  If there's not
> demand for this HWE stack, does it make sense to omit the raring HWE
> backport altogether, and focusing effort on the quantal and s HWE stacks?

Hi Steve,

Following vUDS discussions, this topic was explored with other Canonical
partners.  Feedback from other business units within Dell and HP have
voiced a strong need for the Raring HWE stack in 12.04.3.  I
unfortunately don't believe we can refrain from delivering a Raring HWE
stack in 12.04.3.

> Otherwise, this proposal looks good to me.

Thanks,
Leann