quietening the ubuntu touch kernels and building framebuffer console into the kernel

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 19 09:25:11 UTC 2013

hi,

for the grouper kernel we recently had to enable a /dev/console in the
kernel to make upstart happy in the new container model... the config
change to do this sadly also enabled (among a bunch of other options we
do not need) the framebuffer console as a module which we do not want at
all, nothing should claim the framebuffer before Mir or surfaceflinger
bring it up ...

while i could work around the issue that this module is there with a
hack at image build time and just rm the module, the latest build
apparently has it turned into a builtin option, instead of doing this we
need to find a way to initialize /dev/console without using fbcon (this
worked fine with rm'ing the module so i guess there must be a way to get
in sync with the other android based kernels again having /dev/console
available without initializing and claiming the screen.

additionally there was a quietening patch added today to all kernels
that use the android ram console as /dev/console for debugging purposes.
what was the rationale behind this ? these kernels do not (and will not)
print any console output to the screen, all console output goes to the
android ramconsole to be available in /proc/last_kmsg in the recovery
mode in case you need to debug the boot. with the quieting of the
console output we now have no more info in the ramconsole, please revert
this.

ciao
	oli