[ 3.8.y.z extended stable ] Patch "SUNRPC: fix races on PipeFS UMOUNT notifications" has been added to staging queue

Myklebust, Trond Trond.Myklebust at netapp.com
Tue Jul 16 23:16:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 15:53 -0700, Kamal Mostafa wrote:
> This is a note to let you know that I have just added a patch titled
>
>     SUNRPC: fix races on PipeFS UMOUNT notifications
>
> to the linux-3.8.y-queue branch of the 3.8.y.z extended stable tree
> which can be found at:
>
>  http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/linux.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.8.y-queue
>
> This patch is scheduled to be released in version 3.8.13.5.
>
> If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to this tree, please
>
> For more information about the 3.8.y.z tree, see
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/ExtendedStable
>
> Thanks.
> -Kamal
>
> ------
>
> From 26655857295527252a3d6606b4cb248580b7843d Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Stanislav Kinsbursky <skinsbursky at parallels.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:15:14 +0400
> Subject: SUNRPC: fix races on PipeFS UMOUNT notifications
>
> commit adb6fa7ffe9031857ec14b8aab75c9ab65556cbc upstream.

Hi,

Can we please hold off on this patch and the other PipeFS followups for
now? It isn't completely clear that people are hitting these problems in
the wild, and the patch itself introduces bugs which still aren't 100%
fixed upstream (I have 1 more patch queued to deal with the aftermath).

Let's just wait until we have definite proof that people are Oopsing,
and we've addressed all the issues in the upstream kernel.

Thanks,
  Trond

--
Trond Myklebust