[R/master] Arm multiplatform support

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Thu Jan 31 13:40:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:24:15AM +0100, Paolo Pisati wrote:
> Two of the goals set for Raring arm were to:
>
> a) fold omap3 and omap4 in a single branch
> b) ship a single kernel with multi Soc support
>
> so here it is the first batch of patches to:
>
> 1) collapse omap3 and omap4 support in master
> 2) give our kernel arm multiplatform support (TI omap3/4 and Freescale imx6 ATM)
> 3) enable DTBs for multiple boards support (only needed for imx ATM)

Overall this looks fine.  The packaging changes are good to my eye.  I
have built an -omap out of this and used it to boot my -omap4 board
successfully.

I think long term it would change to be -generic or -generic-nonpae (if
we think a PAE version would ever be needed) to fit in with the naming
we in other flavours.  However, in the very short term I think it is
completley reasonable to keep it as -omap while we play with things, as
it primarily supports OMAP3/4 for our supported platforms anyhow.  Once
we are in a position to map -omap4 to it, that would likely be the time
to change the name to a generic style one.

Overall:

Acked-by: Andy Whitcroft <apw at canonical.com>

-apw